Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Blog Review: Free Albums Galore

As I mentioned in my first post, Free Albums Galore is no longer being updated, but the blog still exists and it's a great resource for free music of the past six and a half years. You can browse their posts by using the "Archives by Month" or "Search" widgets on the right hand side of the page.

Free Albums Galore was an eclectic resource for finding the latest in everything from Psychedelia to World music to Electronica to Prog Rock. I tried to listen to as many of these as I was able, but in the end, I only had so many hours in the day.

Some of the sources that Free Albums Galore introduced me to will become common items, here on Dangerously. Those include Jamendo (a sort of social network for music makers and downloaders alike); the Internet Audio Archive (a branch of the Internet Archive, home of the infamous Wayback Machine); and the Free Music Archive (sort of the Rolling Stone of free music archival on the Web). Along with those, Free Albums Galore introduced me to the myriad of Netlabels out there that had free and for-pay music, and I'll have to spend quite a bit of time on those at some point in the near future as well, especially the awesome and ongoing netBlocs from blocSonic!

No comments:

Post a Comment