Friday, May 4, 2012

Why free music?

I've had friends ask why I would bother wading through the mountains of truly awful music that's offered for free, just to find the few gems. After all, isn't it easier to pay someone else to do that work for me? Well, here's the thing: if I do that work and then review the good songs, albums and artists on my blog, then lots of other people get the benefit. Sure, I spend my time wading through the noise, but I get to see thousands of others reap the benefits.

On the other hand, I get to discover bands like Diablo Swing Orchestra (who restored the joy that heavy metal brought to me when I was a teen), Atomic Cat (who demonstrated that the terms "dance" and "quality music" were not mutually exclusive) and so many more. It's a real pleasure to listen to this music, whether it's free or not.

So enjoy the blog, download the music and have a great time! If you feel like giving back, post a comment to this thread, and tell me what you've discovered!

No comments:

Post a Comment